Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011

Another New Year is here and I find myself on a rainy, rainy Sunday morning waiting to watch a little football. I love the old tradition of New Year's day football although so much has changed since I was a boy. On this day you got 4 games only: Cotton, Sugar, Rose and Orange. Now I'm not sure what they all are and so many occur later on. I believe the Sugar, played here in New Orleans is early in the week, the Cotton Bowl, featuring my LSU Tigers, is not til Friday and we have over a week to see if Auburn or Oregon is college football champs.

Another New Year's tradition is to break out the black-eyed peas and cabbage along with a little pork. The luck, health and wealth formula is one Wendy and I continued after both families did this when we were kids. And this year it's just me and the mrs. Elizabeth is continuing here nice visit with big brother Jimmy. He is teaching her to hunt and today she got her first kill. Very happy that my children like to be with each other despite the 11 year age difference.

And I have blogged about recently, this weekend is my last as Deacon assigned to St. Jane Parish in Abita Springs. Monday my official appointment begins in Most Holy Trinity Parish. Sometime in the next day or two my wife and I will drive to St. Jane's and clear out my albs, stoles and dalmatics so I can relocate them to my new assignment. With much anticipation and excitement I embrace this new journey in my diaconate ministry. And of course, I continue my ministry at Rayburn and early on will begin preparations for the retreat in March.

When Monday morning dawns, it's the start of a New Year in reality; work begins again, after a great vacation, and all the kids return to school. Monday will have that feel about it that it's back to the real world. But in the meantime, I'm going to soak up the New Year, thank God for all my blessings and watch me a bunch of football while eating some black-eyed peas and cabbage!

Happy New Year 2011 everyone and tell any of your family and friends to visit me here at the abitadeacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment