Thursday, July 1, 2010

July; month #2 in the summer of my discontent

OK, don't read too much in this headline. I simply am not a summer guy. I love summer only because it is part of God's rhythm of nature but beyond that; don't care much for it. I've talked about this before; too much heat & humidity, rain and always the threat of hurricanes. But the good news is: June behind us, July underway and all is well with the world.

It's been a strange summer; my son got married, my daughter is traversing Europe and my wife and I are counting points. And I just realized I even have a sister & niece doing ministry in Honduras.

For me, I look forward to a great July as my ministries continue during this mid-summer month. I look forward always to the visits to Rayburn prison, can't wait for the opportunity to minister and pray with the men, and their wives, who are discerning a possible vocation to the diaconate and the many opportunities to serve at my parish, and again this month, my neighboring parish to the south.

I continue to remmeber that ministry and Christian example is an ongoing thing. At work, home and around town, we must be an example of Christ's love. And as a Deacon I am particularly aware of being a sign of Christ the servant.

This journey is always made so much easier by the amazing support and encouragement of my family, particularly my wife and so many friends. It is always humble to realize that so may people are praying for you and the ministry entrusted to you.

So we can make this a great July. God remains in control. And when July is over, summer is just that much closer to her end. Come on fall, and football season, and cool weather, and leaves that turn color (well, maybe) and kids off the street and back in school! Yes, summer is rolling along.

No comments:

Post a Comment