Saturday, June 26, 2010

A daughter at the Vatican

I've been following the travels of my daughter this summer and was thrilled at her stop last week at the Vatican. There she was, in pictures and videos sent home at the home of Christianity, at the home of the Catholic Church. As a dad I was excited and proud. As a ordained Deacon, I was a little envious as I wished to be there with her. The pictures, to say the least, were stunning. But it was her email home and her own words that struck me most. This was exactly what I hoped to hear from her as she soaked it all in.

These are some of her thoughts:


So today was completely dedicated to the Vatican. We had to wait three hours but it was well worth it. In the Vatican Museum I got to see the Sistine Chapel by Michaelangelo, various Frescoes by Ralphael, and "The Thinker" statue by Rodin. It's so cool to have learned about those but to actually see them is in a completely new dimension. Then we shopped, yeah I spent alot of money on gifts today but I'm never going to be at the Vatican again so o well! Then we walked to St. Peter's Square (Vatican City) and walked around and took pics. Daddy, you would absolutely love it!! I felt like I conquered the world when I walked in and looked around. Then we went into St. Peter's Bascilla and I swear I didn't breathe for ten minutes. To actually see what Daddy watches on TV was beyond cool. I took tons of pics but they honestly couldn't capture what me and Katie saw. The Church is beautiful and I felt honored to have walked in it. All the statues were amazing and I saw some mummified Popes, like Pope Innocent the 7th I believe. Then there was this room where they only allowed you to pray, no pics allowed and no visiting. If you weren't praying they kicked you out. So me and Katie prayed beside the priests there and some Italian nuns. The room was beautiful and it kind of made you tear up actually. Me and Katie just walked around for about an hour and a half because we couldn't belieave we were actually there.

>>>I think this might be the greatest email I ever have received from my little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment