Sunday, April 11, 2010

A great reason to cut the grass

I have mentioned before that I hate the summer; the warm weather months. I hate how fast the grass grows. But, I do like cutting grass; particularly in the evenings as long as I'm riding on my big Kubota or the John Deere. Until recently, I had no affirmation if I was unique about praying and talking to God while atop the cutting equipment.

During the recent retreat that I've talked about so many times, one of the presenters talked about praying to God while cutting the grass. In fact, he said that he believes he received a call to help others during one such talk.

In looking back now, cutting grass is where I would go, often in fact, during the months I was trying to figure out God's plan for me in serving Him and others. In addition to talking to Him about discernment, I have opened up to God about my joys, hopes, fears, shortfalls, anxiety, faith, you name it.

So it all came back to me as this weekend became my big outdoor, attack the lawn weekend. I have lots of lawn; about 9 acres; almost all of it needing to be cut. So after getting a jump for the dead battery on the Kubota, I cut and cut and realized I was talking to and with God. And today, atop the John Deere, I managed a chaplet of Divine Mercy.

Prayer happens in any place and at anytime. Never feel restricted to only praying in the morning or at nighy; worthy thou that is! Pray all the time. And never restrict your prayer life to those prayers written out for you to read. No, open your heart and soul and give it all to Him. Ask Him for that which you truly need. Give it all to the one who has mercy that lasts forever!

And maybe you can keep your lawn looking pretty good in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment