Friday, June 12, 2009

From our New Archbishop

News
A letter from Archbishop Aymond to the people of New Orleans
By: SComiskey
Friday June 12th 2009
A letter from Archbishop Aymond

June 12, 2009
Clergy, Religious and Laity of the Archdiocese of New Orleans
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:
I have been informed by Archbishop Sambi, Apostolic Nuncio, that our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI has named me Archbishop of New Orleans. This news humbles me and I renew my gratitude to God for calling me to serve as a bishop of the Catholic Church. I also express gratitude to Pope Benedict XVI for his faith in me and for entrusting to me the pastoral care of you, the people of God in the Archdiocese of New Orleans. I promise to pray for you daily and to strive to be for you a good shepherd, reflecting to the best of my ability the mind and heart of Jesus.
I regret that my visit to New Orleans for this announcement has to be very brief. I must return to the Diocese of Austin for a 4 p.m. news conference. In the near future, we will have many opportunities to share more relaxed time together. I look forward to my “home coming” in August.
Though I have been away from New Orleans for the past nine years, I have often recalled very fond memories and have prayed for the people of the Archdiocese of New Orleans every day. Returning as your Archbishop will give us the opportunity to renew memories of the past and to journey together in new ways as God’s pilgrim people in the future. I particularly remember the very dedicated priests, many of whom I had the opportunity to teach during my years at Notre Dame Seminary. The priests, deacons, religious and laity in New Orleans form a lively, vibrant family of faith. I look forward to being a part of this family again.
I will be traveling to Rome for the Feast of Sts. Peter & Paul, June 29, to receive the pallium from our Holy Father, a symbol of the pastoral responsibility of an archbishop. The people of God in the Diocese of Austin and the Archdiocese of New Orleans will remain in my prayers and heart as I kneel before the Holy Father to receive the pallium.
As I pray for the local Church of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, I ask that you please lift me in prayer, especially during this time of transition. I look forward to the Installation Mass on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2009 at 2 p.m. at St. Louis Cathedral. Until then, God’s peace be with you.
Sincerely in Christ,
Most Reverend Gregory M. Aymond
Bishop of Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment