Sunday, April 12, 2009

A personal Easter reflection

April 12th is an unforgettable day!

It started about six years ago. On an otherwise picture perfect Saturday, the sound of a siren pierced the quiet of my rural country neighborhood. My daughter and her friend, who had spent the night, did not notice the siren. But the phone call was alarming. Our house guest, all of about 14 years old was talking to her older sister, she could not wake up her daddy.

By the time we all arrived at the house, it was too late. Their dad, our friend, the neighbor everyone came to rely on for a helping hand, was gone. One of the first people I met in my Abita neighborhood, who helped me countless times, who loved for her daughter to play with mine, Wayne Tennyson was gone.

I still think about him, particularly on Saturday mornings, when he liked to take his old car to town to run errands. He loved his family, was a great husband and dad, loved his country home; you could tell by just driving by. He left us too early; on April 12, 2003.

Two years later, I received a most alarming phone call from the staff of one of the bank branches I assisted. Their manager was a no show, and he had an important meeting that day. They could not reach him by phone or cell. Where could he be? Normally, I would not have thought much of this, except Stephen Forer had been battling cancer and had chemotherapy treatments. One of the associates at the bank sent her husband to Stephen’s house. He called me and told me something was wrong. His car was home and an alarm clock was blaring in the bedroom. He broke into the home and found Stephen dead. Complications from his cancer treatment stopped his heart. Stephen was 23 or 24 years old. He was well liked by everyone, a Tulane graduate and a most devoted son to his mother.

I used to go to lunch with him a lot. He was one of the youngest people picked to be a bank manager and loved his job. Full of energy and enthusiasm, he battled his cancer with lots of dignity. He to left us too early, entirely too early on April 12, 2005.

For a couple of years, April 12th weighed heavily on me. Then, I guess like everything else, time heals. Last year, I got one more reminder, although much different. On an April 12th morning, a little past 6 in the morning, while preparing for a class day in my deacon formation, lightning struck. Literally! A freak bolt of lightning hit the tree next to the house ran across the roots and sent a huge dose of powerful electrical energy through my house. The flash and accompanying noise was enough to say something ain’t right here. But the quickly dying electrical appliances and my daughter running from her bedroom to say she had felt an electrical shock drove home the seriousness of the event.

Fortunately, Elizabeth was fine albeit shook up. The lightning strike fried almost everything; air conditioning system, computers, televisions, all kitchen appliances, phones, lamps, you name it. But I realized that it could have been worse; much worse. All the damaged goods were replaced, the house had no structural damage, and no one was hurt.

When I realized the date, April 12th, I must admit that I asked, “Why”? At this point, I’m wondering out loud what is the deal with this day. Is there a message in all of this?

I really did not get an answer, that is until this year. When I checked the calendar to see when April 12th would roll around in 2009, I could only smile when I saw April 12th would be Easter Sunday. I will remember April 12th now as the day we commemorate the Resurrection. April 12th is now associated with Easter joy and newness of life. April 12th is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.

And this is true of the April 12th’s of these past few years. Sure, I and many others miss Wayne and miss Stephen. We wonder what would have been. And I never want to go through another lightning strike but we survived, we managed to get everything fixed. Now looking back, these events only help me to realize that we are not in charge. This all belongs to God; this Earth, nature, His children, each and everyone of us. And we are called to live our lives for Him, realizing that this life is a dress rehersal for the life to come.

The happiness of the hope of an eternal life spent with God in Heaven is possible for all of us because Jesus died and then rose from death at that first Easter. His merciful act of love opens wide the door of paradise. We rejoice in this knowledge and we rejoice in our faith.

Yes, I will never forget April 12th and the life changing events I have witnessed in these past few years. But at least for now, April 12th will be a cause for great joy as I rejoice in the Resurrection of the Lord.

No matter what life throws at you, no matter how many times, rest in Jesus’ love and mercy. And remember, he died for you and rose to new life, so you and I may have new life too!!

May abundant Easter blessings remain with you throughout this 50 day season of Easter.

Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today (April 12th) and forever,
Deacon Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment