Friday, July 1, 2011

Grateful for a busy weekend

It's been quite some time since I've posted about upcoming events.  The rhythm of ministry has changed over the past few months, and perhaps even that of my career, so rarely do I have time beforehand for, well, just about everything.

I took some much needed time off this afternoon before the fireworks began.  And I'm not even referring to the 4th of July weekend.  In just a few minutes I will return to my home parish and help close out Adoration by presiding at Benediction.  What a wonderful day for Benediction on this Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  And we always recite the litany of the Sacred Heart on 1st Friday so today will be no different.  And I will have barely an hour to unwind before I witness a wedding between two young people I have been preparing for almost 6 months.  Christopher and Courtney will be married sacramentally before family and friends and I am privileged to officiate and witness their vows and their consent.  As an ordained minister in God's holy church I am always full of great joy when I can preside at the Sacrament of Matrimony.

At my new parish of Most Holy Trinity we are celebrating the back to back event of today's Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and tomorrows Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Beginning after Mass this morning and running all night until Mass tommorrow morning we have 24 hour Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.  With the help of our various minsitries and the dedicated men of the Knights of Columbus, every hour is guaranteed that adorers will be present all night and morning long.  We will conclude with a special Mass in the morning.

Ever since I arrived at Most Holy Trinity we have been trying to arrange a time to get to know one another.  So on Saturday evening after the vigil Mass Wendy and I will have dinner with the two priests, Fr. Rodney our pastor and Fr. Dean the associate, as well as Deacon Tom and his wife Patsy.  We both are looking forward to the opportunity to visit away from the "office".

Sunday brings 2 Masses and a Baptism before an afternoon opportunity to visit with good friends and take advantage of the long weekend and the 4th of July.  As for the holiday I plan to leave that open so I can relax, something many of us, especially Permanent Deacons, do far too litte of!

All the while I will be planning for a memorial service at the prison Wednesday night for our recently deceased brother as well as the planning for a retreat later this month for our Deacon candidates.

So I now need to pull back from the computer and get out of this very comfortable chair and let the fireworks begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment