Thursday, June 30, 2011

July; trying to stay active despite the summer heat

As we move on from a pretty hot June I brace myself for my personal 2nd worst month of the year.  I truly dislike July but not quite as bad as August.  July has a few things going for it but overall, I don't like July.  For us the heat and humidity become unbearable at times, coupled with some steamy afternoon rains and the always present threat of tropical weather.  But it is where we are on the calendar and I try to remember that July belongs to God just as much as those wonderful months of the fall and winter.

July 2011 will begin with me witnessing a marriage; truly one of the great joys as a Permanent Deacon.  I am so honored that this family, particularly the bride-to-be asked me to preside.  Courtney was one of my students many years ago in parish CCD.  She is going to be a beautiful bride.  For many months now I have been preparing her and fiancee Christopher, a fine young man who has served his country in the military.  The wedding will occur at 7:30 in the evening back at my home parish in Abita Springs of St. Jane's.  Love that church.  I offered to preside at Benediction tomorrow night as well about 2 hours before the wedding.  Afterall, tomorrow is the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and will be followed Saturday by the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Now that's one holy double-header.

We will be celebrating the 4th of July weekend over the next few days and recalling those days when a new nation, one that has been a bastion for freedom and liberty, was born.  I will be happy to bask in the glory of a nice 4 day weekend away from the office as I take Tuesday off as well.  I also will be involved in a Baptism at this weekend's 11 a.m. Mass.

This will be the usual hectic month as I juggle responsibilities at home, work and in ministry.  We will experience another milestone in my daughter's life as she moves on to graduate school; well, at least move in to her new apartment.  And then she actually starts her new adventure one month later.

July will most certainly be hot and humid.  And I will spend much more time on the riding mower than I care to.  But I'll take it one day at a time and be right here sharing along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment