Saturday, October 3, 2009

Lord, I think I saw you hungry and thirsty today...

Does God have a knack for unbelievable timing or what. Waking up late again for the 2nd day in a row, I knew that I would be missing Mass at my local parish. But I still needed to get busy; I had a 9 a.m. appointment with our Ladies Sodality Group. When I got to the church property there was much activity going on; Mass was letting out, ladies were gathering for the meeting and another group was readying the big hall for a wedding shower. In that group included our parish secretary. When I saw her she looked concerned about something. She quickly explained to me that a lady and her daughter had been dropped off at the hall by a cab because they had no place to go. I watched with admiration as she sprang into action.

I'm going to be careful here with names and circumstances to protect privacy. Suffice it to say, the secretary being on church property today was a gift from God. She knew just what to do. She verified the story, identified the older lady as someone we had helped before and quickly contacted our local St. Vincent de Paul group. Remember, just last week I blogged about those poor boxes. They were able to arrange a two night stay for the mother & daughter at a local motel, food to last the weekend, a cab for transportation with a promise to meet them Monday and help with rent for a more permanent housing situation.

With all the ladies gathered for their big 1st Saturday meeting food was abundant. The ladies quickly packaged many goodies for the family to eat and gave them sodas to bring with them to the hotel. And I watched many of the ladies go into their pocketbooks and donate money. I had a chance to meet with them, learn about their story and pray with them giving them a blessing before they got in the cab.

I too made a small donation and wished them well and promised to keep them in my prayers all week.

Jesus comes to us at all times in so many ways. This morning it was in the persons of a mon & daughter who stepped out in faith and simply asked a cabdriver to bring them to the church; something good will happen there. And it did. Many people lived out Jesus' command to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, to do for the least of my brothers & sisters. It was a joy to witness the love and support from our secretary, the ladies of the Sodality, our St. Vincent de Paul group and all who have promised to pray for this sweet family.

Always be prepared to put your faith into action. You never know when you will see Him hungry or thirsty...

No comments:

Post a Comment