Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Disappointed and sad, but determined to persevere

If you know me personally, family, good friends, parishioners, Bible study folks, the men at Rayburn, brother deacons here in New Orleans, then you know how much I have struggled with a chronic bad knee for several years now.  In September, I finally got the gumption up to agree to total knee replacement, scheduled for December 2nd.

In a most uncharacteristic manner I approached this with the great and sincere hope that this was it; date set, cut it out, replace, rehab through the holidays and the earliest days of the New Year, then move on.

Today I had a setback as one of my blood tests, the one concerning all things sugar, was off the safe scale to endure such surgery.  I got the call this afternoon and I tried bargaining with the doctor, let me sign some kind of waiver.  Sadly, he was firm and the answer was not now.  So I aske today, what about the pain, what about the time carefully accumulated at work to make this happen, how long, what's next?  The answer seems to be patience; you need lot's of patience.  You also will need perseverance because it is up to me and me alone to get control of my A1C.

So I am very disappointed tonight; I realize this is minor compared to what many of you are dealing with.  And it's fixable, provided I, with my other doctor's help, attack this diabetes.  I have to deal tonight with the reality that this is my fault, no one controls their A1C but self; and I guess I punted.  So I ask you all to pray for me to beat this and to get over the disappointment.  Meanwhile, I will work harder and use December for good as we begin Advent and the Christmas season.

Let me feel your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment