Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A blessing for the Archbishop by the Priests on staff at Notre Dame Seminary








It was both a special day – as well as a surprise – for Archbishop Gregory Aymond at Notre Dame Seminary.
Ten years and one day after he was installed as the 14th archbishop of New Orleans (on Aug. 20, 2009 at St. Louis Cathedral), Archbishop Aymond celebrated the Mass of the Holy Spirit at Notre Dame Seminary and then received the blessing of the entire seminary community.
Father James Wehner, rector-president of the seminary, read a prayer composed for the occasion:
"Grant, O Father, knower of all hearts, that this, your servant, Gregory Michael Aymond, whom you have chosen for the office of Archbishop of New Orleans may shepherd your holy flock. Serving you night and day, may he fulfill before you without reproach the ministry of the High Priesthood; so that, always gaining your favor, he may offer up the gifts of your holy Church. May he please you by his meekness and purity of heart, presenting a fragrant offering to you through your Son Jesus Christ, through whom glory and power and honor are yours with the Holy Spirit in the holy Church, now and forever and Ever. Amen"
Archbishop Aymond, who knelt for the prayer and blessing, was visibly moved.
"It's not too often that I don't know what to say," he said. "Father Jim surprises me on numerous occasions. I'm deeply touched by the prayer and by your prayer for me and also the blessing of the priests and Archbishop (Alfred) Hughes. Thank you. I need those prayers, as we all do, as we try to lead God's people and to follow the lead of the Spirit. I thank you for being in solidarity with me and for praying with me and for me that I can do whatever it is that the Lord wants me to do as the shepherd, representing Jesus, the Shepherd."

No comments:

Post a Comment