Monday, July 16, 2018

Mid-summer Monday morning realities

On many a Monday morning I have posted numerous reminders to make Monday count, to treat Monday as a blessing, to be as Christian on Monday as you might be on Sunday.  For the many working stiffs out there, like yours truly, how about being as happy on Monday as a Friday.

Every time I do this there is the realization that some among us might not be feeling this way.  And of course it is possible, depending on circumstances, to be happy as get out on a Monday and under some stress on say a Thursday or Friday.  We all have to find a way to dig deep, to be more aware of God in our lives and ask for the help necessary to power through.

I must admit that the events of the past 45 days, mainly because of the toll it has taken on my wife Wendy, has weighed heavily upon me.  At times, it has caused me to be less than gracious and grace filled.  That does not mean I am not grace filled, it just means I choose to shut that out in order to be negatively impacted.  Let me be clear, the challenges of the last 45 days are real.  Wendy is spent, I am spent.  But Wendy's mother is no longer in imminent danger but surely is not in a position to care for herself.  In fact, we may learn today that medical aide at various facilities ends and we either take her in or opt for other possibilities, all of which are difficult.

Through it all I've tried to be fully present where I need to be; at work, at church, at the prison, through a beautiful wedding, through supporting a family at a funeral, even to being who I am; not just a husband, deacon, worker, but Pops.  I have enjoyed every minute, even over these 45 days, with Brennan and yesterday I had a real nice Skype with Calvin and Katelynn.

Normally at mid-summer I would be on here lamenting the heat and humidity, the fact that August is still ahead, blah blah blah.  It sure has all been there, just not my focus lately.

Even the big 50th anniversary deacon congress in New Orleans next week promises to be impacted by these 45 days and what lies ahead but for now, I just plan on attending and being fully present, with or without my wife.

So here I go; yes, on this Monday I know what I should try to do and ask you to do the same; we have to shake these times off, rely and trust more on God, find that inner peace that Jesus promises us and move on.  It's Monday, it's mid-summer, and yes, God is still in charge and holds us all in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment