Saturday, November 18, 2017

When the vacationing Deacon/Pops knows something is wrong; it was only my APPENDIX

Vacation day four ended uneventfully but day five would not be so lucky.  From the minute I woke up with a strange feeling stomach ache early Wednesday morning I had a bad feeling.  Despite this I wanted it to be something else so I powered thru pain to pick up the grandkids at school, take them to lunch and get them home.  But Pops was not feeling it.  By 8 pm I told Wendy drive me to the hospital.  It took awhile thru the ER process and long painful waits but by 3 am diagnosis confirmed: I had an appendix that had to come out, now!  I knew what this meant, short-term surgery and recovery and no time with my grandkids and come the weekend, lost opportunity to return home the way we came to North Carolina.  Remember, we drove up with friends Aimee & Keith; they went hunting while we stayed back with the kids.  But they had to return(which they did today).  For Wendy and I we must return another way and on a still to be determined date.

By the way surgery was successful, the hospital, Moses-Cone Memorial Hospital, took great care of the sickly deacon.  The surgeon was skillful and informative.  My care, especially overnight by the nurses was top notch.  I was visited by a Catholic Priest, who graciously heard my confession and then anointed me.  He even offered that next time in town, bring the alb and assist on the altar.  Pretty cool; his presence was a big help as that was the day of the actual surgery.  The next day I was visited by a hospital chaplain, a nice lady who may have indicated she was Methodist despite being raised Catholic.  She knew her Catholic prayers and offered several for my recovery.  She was profoundly kind.  About and hour later, he comes a very priest like looking man who my friend greeted as "father".  He would be the local Permanent Deacon who does his " rounds" at the hospital.  We had a great visit, including a long talk about wearing the clerics.  He also invited me to his church when I'm in town next.  He was able to give me and Wendy communion which is the best part of any day!  I never felt so holy being visited by a priest, a chaplain and a deacon!  Sounds like the start of a great joke!!

Today I was discharged and my surgeon told me to return home after a few days to rest.  He also reminded me that I have 8 staples in my belly; no reminder was necessary!  I will have to address their removal upon returning home.  So this is how Pops spends his vacation, in surgery, minus one appendix and thankful that all worked out as good as it did.

Health is a great gift; we must do all we can to stay healthy(easier said than done)and pay close attention to what the body is telling us.

Updates on my ongoing recovery and plans to get home!  Say a little prayer for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment