• Best News Writing on Local Event: Beth Donze, “St. Louis Cathedral statue repair: A Katrina healing.” Judges said: “Well constructed story on a compelling topic. Captured the importance of this symbolic part of the hurricane recovery and did it in a well-written fashion."
• Best Personality Profile: Beth Donze, “Their cup runneth over” (Eileen Capritto is named Regina Matrum – mother of the year – of the Archdiocese of New Orleans). Judges said: “The subject and her life and beliefs come alive on the page thanks to the excellent writing and inclusion of details and quotes about and from the subject."
• Best Sports Photo, Ron Brocato (“Flying handoff”) De La Salle relay team. Judges said: “Great timing on a usually ordinary moment. Runners are not often horizontal to the track. The gap between runners’ hands and the suspended baton tell the whole story."
• Best Reporting on Young Adults, Peter Finney Jr., “Shared sacrifice is one couple’s answer to child care.” Judges said: “I loved the clarity of the storytelling here. It felt very relevant and real to me and showcased the role of the couple’s faith in their story."
• Best Diocesan Directory, Jonelle Foltz, Cheryl Dejoie-LaCabe, MJ Cahill, Lloyd Robichaux. Judges said: “This is a scaled-down version of other directories but provides all the important information without pictures of every priest and church. The use of dark blue tabs with 2 light blue for Quick Reference and Master List is helpful. However, they are not reinforced and could conceivably deteriorate with usage throughout the year. Some great photos but too much advertising mixed in with the information. The cover is very tastefully designed."
• Best Sports Photo, Ron Brocato (“Thrill of victory”) Mount Carmel volleyball. Judges said: “Love the descending amount of excitement on the bench. From jumping player to just fist-pumping coach. The excitement is topped off by the head coach’s reaction."
• Best Multiple Picture Package: Frank Methe, Christine Bordelon, Beth Donze, Peter Finney Jr., Bishop Cheri Ordination Mass coverage. Judges said: “Great headline/photo combination on the front page. It was the best photo. Some photos could have been edited out." Link:
• Best Newswriting on Local Event, Peter Finney Jr. (“There’s pep in his step”) Bishop Cheri Ordination Mass. Link:
• Best Coverage of Year of Consecrated Life: Beth Donze (series of three stories on women religious celebrating Year of Consecrated Life)