Friday, November 27, 2015

The Autumn of my Discontent

Well, probably a strongly worded title but as far as autumns go I've had better!  That season of autumn that I long for all summer long has been with us now for over 2 months.  Of course football and back to school stuff usher in an unofficial kind of autumn since Labor Day.  Now that we have blown through one of the big holiday celebrations associated with autumn its time to take stock.

The first thing I look forward to is football.  I love football, including prep football that has already progressed to state playoffs.  Long behind us are those regular season match-ups and rivalries and homecoming festivities.  It's time to start sizing up who will make it to the final week championship games in a few weeks.  On a bigger level, LSU promised an exciting autumn and we would all have agreed as they breezed to that 7-0 start with a #2 national ranking.  Coming off the bye week, LSU promptly hit the skids with the almost annual butt-whipping by Alabama and the two more complete and improbable losses to Arkansas and Ole Miss.  Now LSU is ranked no-where, falling to the bottom of the SEC West standings and now anticipating the loss of Les Miles as the long-time head coach.  Leonard Fournette, the heads-up favorite for the Heisman Trophy is no longer even mentioned in contention for the prestigious award.  Oh my, LSU football for the autumn of 2015 has been a source of super discontent.  Then there is the Tulane Green Wave; wait a minute, nobody cares about Tulane football.  Let's just say like most years, they stink and they too are going to fire their head coach.  But, as I said, who cares?  Then we can talk about the Saints.  I avoided the hype to love the 2015 edition and looks like I will be proved a prophet.  The 2015 Saints stink.  At 4-6, they look like a fine candidate for a 6-10 team as every year since Super Bowl headiness as devolved into a worse and worse version of a professional football team.  Now that D-coordinator Rob Ryan is gone, is head coach Sean Payton not far behind?  Could we have a trifecta in gone coaches?  Oh my, Louisiana football for the autumn of 2015 has indeed been a source of great discontent.

Speaking of autumn, why the heck are we so damn hot.  My goodness we just celebrated a Thanksgiving Day rapidly approaching the 80's.  I mean I cut grass yesterday and today in this hot, humid weather.  We have had all of one, yes, count them, one cool snap.  We managed one morning at 32 degrees or less, just one.  And December is right around the corner.  Not only hot and humid, how about wet?  We went from drought conditions to being totally saturated as 2 consecutive October weekends were wiped out by rain.  By the way, November weekends have not been much better.  The so-called autumn weather in 2015 is also a big source of my discontent.

In the real world, my family faced a serious health scare/challenge for the mother-in-law as well as my own wife Wendy having even more stents inserted to help her blood flow and relieve dreaded blockages.  All things considered, we are weathering this storm but it certainly has made for some stress during this most favorite time of the year, autumn, which I look so forward to.

Discontent!  Maybe a strong word yes but it's a good summation of my experience in this autumn of 2015.  But things are not all woe is me; not by a long shot!  Since the beginning of autumn I've lost nearly 50 lbs., am trying to gain control of my health and have been enjoying the still newness of my ministry transfer back to St. Jane de Chantal Parish, my home parish.  Work has been hectic and rewarding as my bank is the only bank left to serve the people of Pearl River Louisiana!  And we still are counting down days to my daughter's grand wedding next April and we continue to Skype with our two beautiful grandchildren.

So all I need as we begin to transition to winter is the following: LSU please beat Texas A & M and whatever bowl opponent you get this year, Saints, just win, win some darn games.  It would be great if you want to prove me wrong.  And dear weathermen, can we get some seasonal and slightly cooler than seasonal weather?  And dear Lord, I hope I won't weary you as I continue to pray for Wendy's health and job situation as well.  Maybe it's not really discontent because the Lord is still in charge, sitting on His throne and He loves me unconditionally.  I am looking forward to December and winter and do so with great anticipation and joy.  Hey, we are starting Advent, my favorite season in the Church.  All will be well.  I'd just like some holy contentment!

No comments:

Post a Comment