Friday, August 28, 2015

Hello Friday night, I've been waiting for you

Ah Friday night, nothing particularly amazing about you this week, just good to see you.  For me Friday night does not mean the end of the work week, or the beginning of a care-free do whatever you want when you want kind of weekend.  For me, this Friday night does not bring an exciting date or fun-filled evening.  Yet you are very satisfactorily welcomed.

I just came inside from cutting grass.  Many of you who have read this blog over the years know that this is a task I generally despise.  Tonight I was stunned by both the beauty and pleasant feel air of late August.  Usually, an evening cutting grass in late August is met by 95 degrees and 95% humidity.  Not tonight; pleasant temps and lower humidity joined hands with a nice north breeze.  I'm not sure if I have ever been able to say that about an August evening cutting grass.

Friday evening appeals to me tonight because it still signals a kind of end to a chaotic and interesting week that was.  You probably recall that my week began in the hospital as my wife Wendy had a cardiac scare Sunday morning.  All is well today, thanks be to God, and she was discharged Monday evening at 7 PM once doctors had read all the tests and declared them normal.  Thanks to my wife's moxie, I was actually able to work all day Monday as she underwent tests, all of which she has been through before.  After work, I attended our church parish school of religion(PSR), in her stead to cover open house for her 1st grade class.  After that was over, it was discharge time.  It was good to have her back home.

After another robust day at work Tuesday, I hurried home to participate in an important conference call for our Permanent Diaconate office.  All I can say here is that the call concerns a project that will help us in the Archdiocese of New Orleans to clearly communicate the mission, the call and the identity of the Permanent Deacon.

By Wednesday it was work all day, prison ministry by night.  Everyone who has ever visited this blog absolutely knows I love, love, love my ministry at Rayburn Correctional Center.  On this night my main mission was to assist our Priest in Mass and then meeting with some of the men facing release in the not too distant future.  On my way home, I noticed I was logged out of Facebook and being prompted to not only sign in, but to confirm my identity.  Yes, after a great day, I was stripped of my Facebook identity, told I could never use Deacon in my profile or page unless my first name is Deacon.  I've already discussed what I think about this but in case you missed it I think it stinks!

I had the pleasure of attending the 4th degree K of C meeting last night where I now serve as their Chaplain.  All these Knights are inspirational in their love for the Church and the desire to serve the people of God in works of charity.  And tonight, it was cut the grass.

In light of the Facebook kerfuffle, this is as good a time as any to remind my readers that the Permanent Deacon is all about who he is, not just what he does!  And you can see, he can do plenty.

I guess this is a good time to mention that all of this transpired as the Deacon began a really important lifestyle change, aka, a diet.  Details will come later, but I can tell you this is serious! Wendy and I are tired of being big, sick and slow so we will see.  For now, just pray for us!

How about the days to come?  Tomorrow is a big event in the life of my family; the engagement party for Elizabeth & Mark!!  Dieting may be challenge.  I am looking forward to seeing this big night in the engagement journey of my #1 daughter and her fiancée.  Sunday I will have my 3rd Baptism at St. Jane's since my return.  This will occur after the 11 PM Mass.  I love Baptisms!

So thanks for coming around Friday night; thanks for being that perfect evening for some peace & quiet and reflection!!

No comments:

Post a Comment