Sunday, June 28, 2015

A look back on saying goodbye to the people of Most Holy Trinity Parish

When word came that the Archbishop had assigned me to return home to St. Jane de Chantal Parish in Abita Springs, I was flooded with memories of my 16 years there, including the 5 years while I was in formation and the 2 years I was one of the Permanent Deacons.  I thought about my old ministries there and the many friends and families I knew.  And then in a moment the realization that I would have to say goodbye to the people of Most Holy Trinity Parish.  I thought for a moment, and rather foolishly, surely there is a way to serve both parishes.  Other than special events, it just does not work like that.

Arriving at Most Holy Trinity in early 2011 I found a warm welcoming community with plenty of ministries and well done liturgies despite meeting for Mass in a converted pet store.  I embraced my new assignment and went about the work of getting to know the people, the lay of the land and the needs of the community.  I can honestly say that MHT was very receptive to my homilies, my prison ministry and some of the ideas I felt we could implement.  Because so many people worked so closely with me, and with the cooperation of Pastor Rodney Bourg, I am happy to say that MHT now has all day Adoration & Benediction on every First Friday, including a Friday evening Mass in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  MHT also has a stronger altar server program that at many Masses brings 3 - 4 servers helping on the altar.  And MHT has a robust adult faith formation program that I was thrilled to help keep sessions available for those who prefer daytime sessions as well as evening sessions.  At least one and possibly more parishioners have become prison ministers since my arrival at MHT.

Make no mistake about it, this is a parish that runs on the faith life and generosity of it's people.  As the new church is being built, with anticipating a January or February opening, the future of this parish is strong.  I'm sorry I missed the new church by a few months, but have been assured that I will be back for the dedication weekend.  I'm counting on that!

Today was good-bye weekend.  How incredibly emotional it turned about to be, surprising me too as the tears flowed freely.  The outpouring of love, the babies I held today that I once baptized, the folks who told me privately that something I said or did made such a profound impact in a tough time, the hugs and handshakes; it was hard to say goodbye.

But goodbye I have now said and off to my next stop in my ministry as a Permanent Deacon.  Like I said today in my farewell, for the rest of my life MHT will be in my heart.  And when I arrive back home at St. Jane's, the Deacon that returns will be that much more stronger in faith and ministry because of my time at Most Holy Trinity.

So today, as I reflect in pray in the quiet of my home, I say again to the people of Most Holy Trinity, thank-you, I love you and you will be missed.  I will never forget my time at this wonderful parish and with all of you, look forward to the opening of the beautiful new church.

I hope our paths cross often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment