Saturday, May 23, 2015

Sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes the nail; be joyful in both realities

Last night I posted on Facebook that sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes you are the nail.  Be joyful even when you are the nail.  There was motivation for my post, as there often is.  May 2015 has been a month for lots of big news in the Talbot family.  I shared with you the absolute complete joy at the announcement that my #1 daughter is now engaged to be married.  Since that "big moment" event, both daughter and wife have been in full attack mode, having already booked venues, met with photographers and checking out other necessary things to insure a beautiful wedding.  For my part, I'm more focused on helping Elizabeth and her fiancée in focusing on the marriage part.  I'm the one saying a wedding is so important yes, but it is a day in the life; marriage is forever.

Yesterday my family experienced another life changing event; this one not so pleasant, but one that squarely places us in the same boat of thousands upon thousands of other American families.  Quite suddenly and so unexpectedly, my wife was laid off from a job which happens to be in the oil and gas industry.  It's been a tough year for many in that line of work and now that reality has visited my family.  Of course my main concern is for Wendy, who is a tireless worker, often putting in many 60 hour work weeks, and she is quite surprised at this new development.  Not to worry too much, for Wendy is a gifted and talented accountant and will be out and about hunting down her next great professional adventure.  For me, I wish she would take a week or two off and just relax and get some well deserved down time.

All of these things are happening while other changes and big events are underway in the Talbot household.  One change involves me, but I am not at liberty to share this news yet, but soon, very soon.  And Wendy is still dealing with the reality of having to relocate her mother from Texas to our area of the world soon, very soon.  She will be moving back to her home base by July 4th after living 5 years in Texas with her husband, who passed away earlier this year.

Yes, sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes you are the nail.  In both my wife's recent employment change, and the situation concerning my mother-in-law, I may feel more like the nail, but I don't find these realities as anything worthy of stealing my joy.  Here may be the key; how to be joyful while being the nail.

Now understand that losing a job should not come with some well placed anxiety and moving a relative home due to unexpected circumstances does not come without some hard work.  Even my soon to be announced news takes a certain amount of navigation to pull off.  Years ago all of this would simply overwhelm me.  Today, not so much.  Sure, I want things to go as smoothly as possible, but life is meant to be lived, not just when the road is flat and smooth and the sun shines brightly, but when life takes us on roads that have many ups and downs, a few bumps and the rain does fall.  This requires us to fall back in trust and let God take control.  For some this is easy to do when things are going well and then for others, we find a more dependent relationship with God, mostly through prayer, when we are in a place of need.  Maybe the key is to remember God in thanksgiving when all things are well and even thanksgiving when life provides challenges.  And yes, we must have confidence that we can petition God when a need indeed arises.  Of course both good times and bad times require us to understand that we need God!

Wendy and I have much to be joyful about, even this morning.  We are so excited about our daughter's wedding and look forward to her new life with her fiancée Mark.  And trusting in my wife's talents and God's grace, we look forward to the next great chapter in her professional life.  And I anticipate, with much joy, sharing some "news" with you soon about the life and ministry of the abitadeacon!

Sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes you are the nail; be joyful in both realities!

No comments:

Post a Comment