Sunday, April 19, 2015

Easter season seems just as busy as the Triduum/Easter weekend

No slowing down for the abitadeacon just because the Triduum and Easter weekend is 2 weeks behind us.  This week brought various meetings catching up on some programs affiliated with the local Catholic Charities and St. Vincent de Paul ministry, Baptismal seminars and lot of homily preparation.

Already knowing it would be deacon preaching weekend I long knew my assigned Mass times would be 9 and 11 on Sunday morning.  Then I was asked to help my home parish for their Sunday evening Mass; I happily said yes.  Then a change in a brother deacons schedule created a problem for the Saturday vigil.  Again, I said yes!  Now keep in mind that sometimes the deacon has to say no, but with my wife out of town and circumstances being what they were, I just prepared myself for 4 Masses and 4 preaching assignments.  All went well but like I've explained before, there is something spiritually exhausting when you preach.  Normally, I have no more that 2 Mass assignments when I preach.  I've done 3 before but 4; rarely!  At least all four homilies were not today. 

After the 11 o'clock Mass my Pastor had a Baptism so I decided to stay and help.  It is always special to baptize or witness a baptism.  I'm glad I stayed and helped out.

There was some family time today too.  My daughter came to hear me preach this morning so we had a nice lunch date.  We caught up on important family stuff.  After I arrived back home, I had my weekly Skype date with #1 grandson Calvin!  He is truly growing up right before my eyes thanks to modern technology. 

So what does the week ahead bring?  There are confirmation interviews, prison ministry, diaconate meetings and then another weekend is upon us.  A permanent deacon, through Holy Orders, is ordained for service.  Holy Orders is one of the two Sacraments of Service.  I truly believe to be called to the diaconate is called to serve and I find that I am more effective when I am busy.  But of course, busy can result in fatigue, so I'm off to bed; tired but content.

No comments:

Post a Comment