Monday, February 23, 2015

Monday morning reflection; the gift of being!

The weather outside is appropriate.  No, I'm not experiencing the brutal record cold of last week when I was vacationing in the mountains of western North Carolina, but this is a rainy, cold, dreary Monday morning.  I say it is appropriate because honestly, on this Monday morning, I am winding down what was another great vacation.  Since Calvin was born in 2012, every vacation I earn has been spent visiting with #1 grandson and family.  Last week, while everyone else was worried about Mardi Gras, Wendy and I were soaking up every minute with Calvin.  From the simple, like just playing with him, reading him a book, going off to shop or visit a museum, to the not so simple, like our 3 hour adventure to the mountains, every moment with Calvin is another great vacation memory.  Yesterday morning, when we said goodbye, we do so very low key so that Calvin knows we will be back.  And not only will we be back, but we will faithfully keep our Skype session every weekend.

'Token picture from our trip to Sugar Mnt this past week.  Hard to keep a camera at the ready when you're bundled up like this!  Cal had a blast sledding shortly after this picture was taken (and even kept his goggles on most of the time!)'

As I have so often done when returning I like to explore the role of a long-distance grandparent.  I never want to give the impression that we are off the hook so to speak about being grandparents because we only are physically in Calvin's presence 15-20 days each year.  Not at all.  I don't think a day goes by without thinking about Calvin, praying for Calvin, and always looking forward to that next picture of Calvin posted on Facebook, or our next Skype session.

But there is also a reality about long distance grand-parenting that we face every time we come home.  While it is great to look back and reminisce and look forward to the next time, upon our return home we also must engage in our lives.  For Wendy and me that means work, taking care of household things and so much more.  For me, as a Permanent Deacon, it also means getting caught up on ministry responsibilities and perhaps making up a few missed assignments thanks to the help of my brother Deacons.

Just this week, with every memory of last week fresh in my mind, I now must prepare for this week's Bible Study, prison visit to Rayburn, diaconate formation activity, planning an Archbishop's visit to Rayburn and meeting with the two deacon candidates I am privileged to mentor.

This always serves as a reminder to me that even when I am on vacation, I am a Permanent Deacon.  Even reflecting back home on a dreary Monday morning, separated by 805 miles, I am Calvin's "Pops".  As my wife returns to work today, I am her spouse.  By the way, I wish she could have enjoyed this extra day off like I have today.  I guess again I am back to where I always am when I reflect upon my return home:  The gift of being is indeed a great gift; it's not just what you do, it's who you are.

Wherever you find yourself this Monday morning, make it count.  And always, always, give thanks to God for the gift of being!

No comments:

Post a Comment