Monday, December 22, 2014

Reflecting on a Monday, a happy look back and a joyful look forward as we celebrate the most happiest days of the year!

Sometimes, well maybe often, I like to sit and reflect and put my thoughts down on paper, or a blog.  Thinking back, my personal reflections as I approached ordination to the Permanent Diaconate is how I started this blog.  Long before this blog, I did email updates and back during ancient history, I loved to write.  I kept a journal(ok, stop laughing) and I loved to write letters and notes.  Today is a good day to be reflective; I'm not sure if my reflections will come across as coherent and organized.  Since that never stopped me before, here I go:

I'm enjoying my last day of vacation and even though it's my first full day back home and far away from Calvin and my North Carolina family, I did make it count.  I began my Christmas shopping today.  Yep, it can be done that way fellas.  In fact, I have three more things to get tomorrow and I have my plan all laid out.  I'm very proud to announce that today, for the first time in like a hundred years, I did the grocery shopping.  Yep, all by myself, and it was shopping for Christmas dinner.  By the way, that takes care of any grocery shopping urge I may ever have for at least another year!

My head and my heart are pretty full today.  Wendy and I had a most incredible 6 day trip and it will remain the highlight of the Christmas season.  Yes, I know it' still Advent!  Our #1 grandson Calvin is about as incredible as can be and we had the best time.  Just a little over 2 years old, he entertained us with activities and his singing talent concerning things like Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  I felt very young again just being in his presence.  Calvin has become very comfortable with us, especially considering that we only see him for 4-6 days at a time once every 3 months or so.  He was genuinely excited that we showed back up the second day and on the 4th day I got to put him to bed which is a precious, sweet experience.  Wendy made sure Calvin had a great Christmas as she had a new present ready for him to open every day.  I know he will have a great Christmas as right after we left, he will welcome his aunt, uncle and cousins from his momma's side of the family.  Wendy and I are so thankful that Calvin is happy and healthy and that my son James was smart enough to marry Sara.  They make a great family, and I have every reason to believe 2015 will be a very exciting family year for them, and us:)

Wendy and I are on a short turn-around before some very hectic days.  She returned to work today, I will do so in the morning.  Sometime between now and then, we need to get ready to host or participate in some family traditions, even if they are new traditions.  After I fulfill my Christmas Eve assignments as Deacon, we will gather with my daughter and her new boyfriend(I predict getting serious, which is o.k. now because she has her own job) and Wendy's sister family for dinner.  In Christmas Day, again after my Deacon duties, we will host my side of the family for lunch and catching up.  It's a really great thing to do on Christmas!  And if that is not enough, Friday brings Wendy's birthday and off she goes for a 2 day girls trip with her sister for fun and shopping.  As for me, that day is also the Feast of St, Stephen so I will be celebrating with the Community of Deacons in New Orleans!

See, there is plenty to keep us busy and full of Christmas action.  But wait a minute, it's so much more than that.  We always remember, at least we should, that there is something greater happening here!  I'm reminded often as I prepare for the end of Advent and the start of Christmas as a Deacon.  Again, this too sounds busy but it's so much more than busy!  Depending on some last minute decisions, I may be assisting at 3 Masses for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.  Then we have the Saint Stephen celebration and come the weekend, I will be preaching twice for the Feast of the Holy Family!

So this Monday was the perfect day to look back and smile as I see Calvin, James & Sara and our 2014 memories, and I rest in the reality of this quiet Advent Monday while looking forward, as we say, in joyful anticipation, for that Christmas joy which indeed comes again.  I reflect that a child was born for us, a Son given us.  He is Lord and Savior, my redeemer, and He came to us through a Virgin, Mary, and she named Him Jesus!

It indeed is the most happiest time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment