Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Day 2014; a very reflective day

Yep, another big holiday is almost over.  Thanksgiving 2014 arrived here in the New Orleans area with a cold, crisp very autumn like morning.  For us this is always a blessing as we have also celebrated many a summer like Thanksgiving Day.  I noticed this morning, on my drive to church, even the tree colors were very Smokey Mountain like.  My day began with Mass, as it always has since my ordination.  I really don't recall going to Mass as a child or young adult for the national holiday for giving thanks.  Of course Thanksgiving is not a church holiday nor a holy day of obligation.  But what a day to see the hundreds who want to be at Mass.  At the end of Mass at MHT we have a tradition of distributing several small loaves of baked bread to those attending Mass.  Father says a special blessing so the bread can be a really nice reminder that it comes from our church family into our families homes!

Two really wonderful things happened when I returned home.  Wendy and I spent about 45 minutes visiting with #1 grandson, Calvin, and my North Carolina family via Skype.  We let him entertain us with plans for their Thanksgiving day and feast and his upcoming plans for Christmas.  Even though many miles separate us what a joy to be part of their Thanksgiving Day.  I also called my lone remaining aunt to visit with her for the holiday.  She lives only about 65 miles away and generally prefers to stay home now except for Christmas.  It was a nice chat to reflect as I thought about all the many years her home was used to a gathering that numbered 25 or so for many a Thanksgiving Day.  Yet my aunt was in a great mood as she too had just returned from Mass.

So Wendy and I spent the day at home together.  My other child, Elizabeth, spent her Thanksgiving with the boyfriends family as they will meet up with us tomorrow evening.  We had a nice day.  Wendy cooked quite an elaborate meal for two, turkey, the fixings and some of my quirky favorites.  Needless to say we will have leftover heaven for the next few days!

I have learned over the years that celebrating Thanksgiving, whether a big gathering or not so big, is more about attitude, reflection.  It's main purpose truly is to devote at least one day, on a national scale, to giving thanks!  We give thanks to God Almighty first and foremost because he gives us everyone and everything we are thankful for!

So it indeed has been a reflective day and a wonderful day.  For some reason, I'm going to end this day with a little LSU football; hoping for the best, praying it doesn't make me mad!

Oh by the way, I hope you stayed away from retail shopping today as I find it despicable the ever growing number of places opening on Thanksgiving Day.  This is greed at it's worst.  And I would recommend avoid being one of those caught every Black Friday being stampeded in the early hours of tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment