Saturday, November 1, 2014

Let's talk November; going deeper into the best time of the year!

November dawned today and what a difference our new month has made.  First of all, everyone who enjoys Halloween got to celebrate one on a Friday night and the weekend brought us the important Christian holy days of All Saints Day and All Souls Day.  And right on cue, this second full month of autumn brought us pretty chilly weather, while southern neighbors in Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia experienced snow.  For us, we are looking at a low tomorrow morning near 32.  That's pretty cold for early November in these parts.


But this truly is the beginning of change of season we long for in the deep south.  The fresh colder air helps ease the effects and memories of month after month of unrelenting heat and humidity.  Leaves fall, colors change, although only modestly, and there is a different feel to the air.  Since we don't live where autumn and winter are normally brutal, we actually experience very delightful weather.


Tonight is fall back night.  Yes, we are changing clocks tonight, falling back and gaining a much needed extra hour in the sack.  Now I like falling back because I will always believe that mornings should look like daytime and evenings should look like nighttime.  I am one of those rare birds who prefers the daylight in the morning and not at night.  Yes, I know I will be leaving work in the dark but I leave at 5 PM, the beginning of night!


I love November because football is exciting.  It's been a really rough start for both LSU and the Saints but lately they both are playing well.  While LSU is far removed from national championship contention, there is great hope for a really nice record and a respectable bowl bid.  There may even be some high hopes for an Alabama upset.  The Saints, only sitting at 4-4 are actually a first place team despite their disappointing losses, and are in the playoff hunt.  If the playoffs were to start now, they would be there.  Even though I love cheering on the Tigers and the Saints, I love all football this time of year!


Now, what's really important: ministry.  I am so looking forward to November, liturgies, Baptisms, prison visits, Bible study, visiting with CCD students. confirmation, and so much more!  And as we near the end of the month, we will begin Advent again.  I say this every month but it indeed is a great time of year to be Catholic! 


What about Thanksgiving?  It will be here before you know it.  I'll have much more to post about this as the month moves along!


I hope you too will enjoy this wonderful time of the year and if you live far north, I pray that the weather won't be too brutal!

No comments:

Post a Comment