Sunday, March 30, 2014

The ups and downs and the ups of a Permament Deacon

A snapshot of my ministry life, which is all of my life, can be filled with both ups and downs and, thankfully, even more ups!  After last weeks amazing schedule, which included an incredible wedding ceremony, I began the week at Sunday Mass.  Sunday also brought an incredible spring afternoon which resulted in my first grass cutting adventure for the spring season.  It would be my last as we experienced an incredibly wet week, which included a street flooding deluge on Friday.


The deacon schedule was light compared to most weeks.  I had an opportunity to meet with the Kairos executive committee as we planned several upcoming events inside Rayburn Prison from now and well into the 2015.  I spent more time at mid-week planning and scheduling for the fast and furious end of Lent, start of Easter liturgies which will soon be upon us.  On Thursday night I attended the parish mission at my assigned parish of Most Holy Trinity.  A Benedictine monk, and local pastor, Fr. Peter Hammet, led us in a scriptural reflection on the Gospel of the Prodigal Son.  He challenged us to place ourselves in the Gospel scene and to reflect on which character we would be.  Unfortunately, many may find that role of the older brother comes up often.  Of course the love of the Father is extended to all, the prodigal son and older brother in all of us!


Come Friday evening, after that long rainstorm, I so looked forward to presiding at Stations of the Cross.  When I left work I decided to take the most direct route; along I-12.  Just 15 minutes from the church, an accident involving an 18-wheeler crippled traffic.  I was doomed.  There would be no way to make the Stations of the Cross so I called and was able to reach someone at the church.  I understand the gathered crowd still prayed the Stations, without a clergy presider.  This made me feel terrible, until I realized that I demonstrated no concern for those involved in the accident.  It was not a good moment, a snap shot of one of the "downs" in diaconate ministry.  Then comes Saturday and a snapshot of one of the "ups".


I was asked to do a Baptism Saturday afternoon for a 2 week old little girl.  It seems this was a very unexpected pregnancy and the doctors were convinced this little girl would never be born alive.  At one point in the pregnancy the mother was told to abort by all the medical personnel.  Again, they shared with the parents that the little girl would never make it, and if somehow she did, she would be severely handicapped.  But God has the final say in all things life and this beautiful little girl was born full term, 6 lbs. 14 ozs. and doing well.  Mom and dad are doing fine and thrilled at the gift of their little girl, child # 5.  The Baptism was beautiful yesterday afternoon; as was the many siblings present to witness the baptism of their baby sister!  Like I said, this would be a snap shot of an incredible "up". 


Sundays are always "ups" too!  This morning I had the 9 and 11 morning masses and proclaimed the Gospel of the man born blind.  I also got to slip on the rose colored vestments for Latarae Sunday.  At the latter mass, we presented a vocations chalice for one family to bring home and pray for vocations for the week!  It's a beautiful tradition in our parish.  So my Sunday ministry time was over and home I came for a wonderful Skype session with #1 grandson Calvin.  And tonight, I rest!


In the days ahead I indeed will be busy again and will experience the ups and downs and the ups again of ministry as a Permanent Deacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment