Friday, October 25, 2013

It's a beautiful cool Friday night and I have a date with wallpaper; all because of Calvin

Down in these parts we wait very patiently for days and evenings like this.  At 9 P.M. we are experiencing cool temps in the upper 40's.  It could not be more delightful.  Sounds like a great evening to maybe go out for dinner, take in a high school football game down the road or just sit out on the porch and soak in all this autumn feel good air.  At the Talbot abode, it is none of the above.  The better half has me helping her rip and destroy and discard decades old wallpaper in the living room and the hallway.  She's still at it; I've surrendered.  However, after just 2 hours, the wallpaper is gone, not a hint of it.  Unfortunately, the better half now feels motivated to let the painting begin!  For me, I bow out gracefully here; I have work at the bank in the morning and ministry all weekend long.

Why are we ripping wallpaper and painting.  Amazingly, after living on our 10-acre paradise for 18 years, we have never done much to the place except paint here or repair something there.  But that was B.C.; before Calvin!!  Yes, finally, after what will be 15 months of life, and Pops & Nona traveling there; Calvin, with mom & dad, is coming here!!!  The big event is still 6 to 7 weeks off, and thank goodness because Extreme Make Over, Talbot edition, is far from complete.  Once again, I refer to my better half, who has declared from on high that we will change out all the flooring in the entire house, get brand new kitchen counter tops, paint 4 rooms, hang new light fixtures, purchase various new furnishings and have the driveway redone from the road to the front door.  Now a dollar figure will not be offered up here to keep the peace and prevent me from a momentary seizure, but this is slightly more than significant.  I never knew Calvin's arrival in southeast Louisiana would be so, well, expensive.

Now no one should take any of this wrong; Calvin's anticipated arrival is something I am looking forward to with profound joy.  I cannot wait to see him, and mom & dad too, in my own home.  In fact, this will be the first time all of my family will even meet him.  And I guess the secondary bit of good news; it will be the first time the Talbot clan will get to mess up my expensive renovations.

Looking forward, there is much work to be done as Wendy begins painting the living room and we continue to change-out this and fix-up that.  And along the way, we both dutifully go to work, I attend to my many ministry responsibilities and then there is always the never ending grass to be cut.

Yes, it is the most beautiful evening of the year since last March.  And we wrestled with wallpaper and paint.  It is well worth it and it served again tonight as a great reminder: I love being Calvin's Pops and I love the amazing commitment of my better half, in absolutely everything she undertakes. 

And yet, we are all reminded, it's not what we do, but who we are that really counts!

Why? Because in whatever we do because of who we are, it's the gift of presence that really is the best present ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment