Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cookies, cookies, more cookies and prayers

The Kairos retreat has begun this afternoon at Rayburn Prison in rural Washington Parish.  I've posted before about Kairos prison retreats; an ecumenical Christian effort to bring some of the inmates in an institution into relationship with Jesus through prayer, reflection, sharing and fellowship.  Among the many extra nice touches to make the retreat special is the sharing of homemade cookies with the inmates.  Each team member is asked to bring 25 dozen cookies to the retreat.  This year, by being able to solicit help from two parish communities, Most Holy Trinity, where I am assigned now, and St. Jane de Chantal, where I was assigned before(and my home parish).  Now I've far exceeded the 25 dozen goal before, in fact on my last Kairos I believe my total was 66 dozen  Well, that record was shattered this year.  Due to immense generosity, I was able to deliver 149 dozen cookies!!  Do the math, that's lots of cookies.

Cookies are quite the treat but more than just cookies, this is a way to involve many families in prison ministry.  Each family who bakes cookies are asked to sincerely pray during the baking process for the men and the retreat team.  Offering prayers for inmates is a first for many who accept the call to bake cookies.  Many of the same folks who bake also offer financial contributions and still others express an interest in how to get involved in prison ministry.

So tonight, overwhelmed by cookies and prayers, and fortified by our 1st evening inside the prison on retreat, we now hit the sack and ready ourselves for a 5:30 wake up call and day 2 of Kairos 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment