Sunday, September 29, 2013

The concept of being and it's bearing on what we do and what we fail to do!

A couple of weeks ago I reflected on the concept of being: http://abitadeacon.blogspot.com/2013/09/alone-with-my-thoughts-concept-of-being.html

I must admit, I never anticipated the reaction, all so very positive, as this blog post has become the most read post that I have personally written.  I hope everyone gets the concept because as we like to say in the diaconate: it's not what we do, it's who we are.  It is vital, especially for Catholics and all Christians, to embrace their being.  Made in the image and likeness of God, being His child, and being the brothers and sisters of Jesus, and one another, is the totality of our identity!  Along the way, I have been approached by one or two who stumbled across my post to ask me if I am saying that our doing is meaningless?  The answer, of course, is absolutely not.  However, now it's time to explore how our doing flows from our being.  Our doing is really the living witness of who you and I are!

If you are involved to any degree with the life of the typical active Catholic parish, you may marvel at that small but enthusiastic % of people who are at every event and do everything.  Unlike me, you probably just accept this fact as fact.  I will try and get to know that precious % because I always like to see if they "get it".  Most of the time it is vey evident that what they do flows beautifully from their "being".  These are people who have embraced the giftedness of who they are, their being as gift from God, and then gladly and joyfully share their being by the witness of their doing!  Every now and then, I may encounter a "doer" who is confused and unsure about their "being".  In these cases, their doing is very beneficial to the Body of Christ, but in speaking with them, asking probing questions, or listen deeply to long held beliefs, things don't square.  In other words, these would be folks that know all about God, but don't buy all God is selling, or perhaps their life is more shaped by other things than the faith part, like societal or political beliefs.  And in these cases, the "doing" is more like fire insurance.  Said another way, I'm not just all sold on this God, me, personal relationship thing and seeing Christ in ALL others, so I'll do more for extra protection; fire insurance for that ticket to Heaven.

Sometimes it's not in the doing at all where we give witness to our being; it's in the "what we have failed to do".  I can think of no greater example than the one evidenced in today's Gospel.  The rich man, who failed to do anything for Lazarus in this life, because of who he is, cannot even deny himself in the after life.  From that great chasm that Father Abraham describes in the Gospel, the rich man continues to demand of Lazarus like he should be his personal slave.  Tell Lazarus to bring me cool water, tell Lazarus to go to my brother.  Even now, because of who he his, the rich man fails to do, or say, anything kind or respectful to or about Lazarus.

So I guess my message here today, especially for those among you who were never comfortable with the whole concept of being over doing, is let's examine a couple of things in the week ahead.  List the things you do.  List the things you fail to do.  Really dig deep here.  Leave no stone unturned in remembering all the doing and not doing.  And now the really hard part, ask yourself why.  Why do I do this or why do I fail to do that?  This should be undertaken prayerfully and then examine who you are.  Is there balance in what I do and even in what I fail to do when framed against who you are.

Remember my earlier post; our being, now properly understood in the context of doing, makes us more in right relationship with God over one who just does out of an unhealthy appreciation of being and a relationship not in balance with God.

It indeed still is who we are that is important; more so than our doing.  And may that which we "do", always flow from our being!

No comments:

Post a Comment