Sunday, April 28, 2013

Praying for graduating high school seniors and batizing babies while reflecting on family. What a reflective day.

Sunday dawned with one heck of a rain storm and driving to church was problematic.  I usually hate rainy Sundays but I was ok with it this morning.  Arriving at MHT I dutifully prepared for my two Baptisms later in the day and was reminded that at the 11 AM mass we would have a ceremony for our graduating seniors.  I think that combination brought back into focus for me that on this very same weekend my daughter signed her contract to move north to Memphis this summer and both my children(not to mention #1 grandson) now live far away.  And I thought about them a lot today as first we honored our senior students.  At the end of Mass, our youth director called each of our seniors by name, announced where they were graduating from and what their post graduate plans would be.  All of them are going on to study, most in college and one in a junior college and another in a technical school.  All will be starting their new adventure to full fledged adulthood.  As our Pastor prayed over them I could hear a few sniffles of pride mixed with some sadness as moms & dads, proud of their children, must have wondered prayerfully, where did the time go.  Was it that long ago that my wife & I watched with great pride as our two graduated high school and went off to college?  College was easy; both Jimmy & Elizabeth went to LSU, just a little over an hour away.  Jimmy was 1996, Elizabeth 2007.  Both times when we dropped them off at college, I was full of great pride.  Jimmy hung around awhile, through vet school, 7 years in all.  But when 2003 came, he was off to his first job offer in North Carolina.  Remarkably, that will be 10 years ago on Memorial Day weekend.  He is there for life in my opinion, having found the love of his life and bringing #1 grandson into the world.  We just returned this week from our latest visit and really love the life he has built in the Tar Heel state.  But today, I had memories of him as a little boy, riding his horses, a graduating high school student and remembering him the 1st time I saw him in a doctor's lab coat at LSU Vet School.
Elizabeth was a little harder because she is the baby.  In 2007 my wife and I knew what to expect so we held our emotions in control.  When she graduated she expressed her desire to pursue a Master's Degree and was accepted at USM.  Now that was all good for proud dad because Hattiesburg, Ms. is only 90 minutes east and north.  But now that Master's Degree is almost in hand and she desires her doctorate.  And the University of Memphis said YES!  Yesterday she signed her lease to move north, all the way to Memphis, more than 5 and a half hours away.  Another proud day as a parent but sad too.  My goodness we just watched her as a little girl, dancing on this dance team then that one, and now she, like her brother, charts her own course.

At the Baptism, I briefly remembered holding first Jimmy then many years later Elizabeth as they were being baptized.  I gently shared this with the parents today and encouraged them to cherish "today".  These precious little gifts are so tiny and dependent now but one day, they grow up and go their way.  The Baptism, by the way was beautiful.  Little Cooper James and Stella Grace looked so peaceful in Baptismal white as they were freed from original sin and made one with the body of Christ, His Church.  I love baptizing babies and today was about the best day ever for me to be doing just that.  As I baptized little Cooper and Stella, a brief mental smile brought into focus Jimmy & Elizabeth, excelling at their lives and making this proud dad all the more prouder.  Today in prayer, I give thanks for the gift of being a dad; and the gift of my children and now my #1 grandson!

I'm glad we prayed for those high school seniors today and wish each of them much happiness.  But I pray too for moms & dads and brothers & sisters who will miss them as they grow up and move on.  I'm glad we prayed for our two new little Christians today, Cooper & Stella, who were reborn today fully in Christ Jesus!  But I pray too for moms & dads and the God-parents too as they are now charged with continuing to raise them in the faith and guide them in this life.

For the rest of the day I will probably be reflective and pray for my daughter as soon, she will leave for her new home in Memphis.  And I pray for my NC family and #1 grandson too.  I pray for my wife as she too prepares for this new reality in our lives and I would be oh so very happy if I could ask each of you to pray for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment