Thursday, January 31, 2013

Goodbye January and Hello February

Pretty original title for this post but once again I find myself amazed that another month flew by.  With this being the 1st month of a New Year I can only wonder if this dizzying pace will continue for all of 2013.  As a Permanent Deacon in the Church I too experience all the ups and downs of a hectic month because my ministry shares in my total being: husband, father, grandfather, bank manager and hopefully, a normal guy.

January brought some amazing challenges at work that tested me but in a way that helped me exhibit leadership and strength, inner and outer.  Unexpected exits from my banking domain left me incredibly short-handed and I've been working much longer hours than normal.  I am so thankful that I moved to this bank because even the challenges, even the busy days, even the chaotic os so much more pleasurable than the good days at the old place.  I trust that I have found my last stop in banking but one can never take anything for granted.  Now to balance this news my lovely bride of 35 years, one of the hardest working people I know, was tapped by one of the areas largest and fastest growing companies to be their accounting manager.  She will leave her job with an incredible offer and knowledge of a new adventure where she is truly wanted.  Congratulations Wendy and good luck.  I hope and pray for my wife a wonderful experience of job change that I have been enjoying for these past 6 months.

Health has been in my family experiences this month too as I currently have both a brother-in-law and mother-in-law in the hospital.  Both have serious illneses and certainly can use any prayers from my readers.  My brother-in-law goes by Don while my mother-in-law is Lynn.  While we are praying add Kathy, my sister, to the list, who lost a job in this tough economy and now is hampered from serious looking as she cares for Don.

Ministry actually settled down to a much calmer pace after the hectic December that brought 4 weddings and the ordination of 20 new brother Deacons!  I have really been enjoying the new adult faith formation program at Most Holy Trinity; an audio/workbook program on the Creed.  I have really enjoyed the lessons and the lively group discussions.  January also brought a robust return to prison ministry with two new interns from our 2015 formation class in tow.  These aspiring deacons are learning the ropes with me at Rayburn Prison.  I did have one beautiful Baptism in the past month too.  And me, and my parish family, and brother Deacons everywhere are currently involved in the necessary preps for Lent, which begins in less than 2 weeks.

How about all the excitement right now in my neck of the woods, living just north of New Orleans!!  Not only is the city alive because Mardi Gras is in full swing but we have this little party going down called the Super Bowl.  While I can't get motivated by a Ravens v 49érs matchup I can get pumped by the electricity in and around New Orleans.  She looks marvelous and is proving an incredible resiliency post-Katrina.  Remember, the Super Bowl is this Sunday and Mardi Gras Day is the 12th. Oh yes, and Lent begins the day after on the 13th!!  More on Lent in future posts.

Now January, which by the way was not that incredibly cold, is done.  As she exits stage left I say goodbye to another of my more favorite months of the year.  I still love February but I know that soon, we down this far south, are about to enter 6-7 months of heat and humidity.  So February, be kind to me.  Please be cool! 

Before I leave this post, the absolute highlight of my month, 4 consecutive Sundays with Calvin as we use skype to visit with our grandson evey week. 

Welcome to February on the abitadeacon; come along for the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment