Saturday, April 28, 2012

Preaching to children at 1st Holy Communion

Unexpectedly, I was invited to preach at 1st Holy Communion in my home parish, and former parish assignment, at St. Jane de Chantal Church in Abita Springs.  The invitation came just 16 hours before the celebration and from the pastor.  Even on short notice I was thrilled to say yes for several reasons, most notably, I love working with children.  My other considerations were that this was an opportunity to preach in my home church, I have never previously preached at a 1st Communion liturgy, and my wife is one of the teachers that begins preparation for the children in the 1st grade.

The Gospel is from the Eucharistic John Chapter 6 where Jesus very literally tells us to eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of Man.  The responsorial psalm was taste and see that the Lord is good. 

My preaching today was directed to the children first and then also to the parents/families.  I engaged the children and asked questions and they were wonderfully prepared.  We talked about the church tour that I do every year for the 1st graders, reminding them of the sanctuary lamp, the tabernacle and how we know that Jesus is present, in this special way in our beautiful Catholic Church.

I also reminded the children that today was a beautiful Sacrament and this would be the 3rd Sacrament they receive.  Most of them answered Baptism and Reconciliation as the two previously received Sacraments.  We talked about this being more than a meal but a sacrifice and I asked them if they ever had such a fuss made over them the 1st time they received pizza or coke or their favorite dessert.  But the fuss we make today is that they are receiving today the Risen Lord, body, blood, soul & divinity!

For the parents a gentle reminder that while today was their children's 1st Holy Communion, their 2nd Holy Communion was tomorrow, the 1st Sunday liturgy where they can receive Him!

What a wonderful gift to preach at this important event in their young lives.  But what a wonderful gift for these beautiful young children to receive Jesus today in Holy Communion!

Thanks to Fr. Robert Cavalier and the staff of St. Jane's along with my brother Deacons and long time mentors, Deacon Frans and Don, for today's beautiful liturgy!

No comments:

Post a Comment