Sunday, October 2, 2011

What a week ahead...Oh Lord, come to my aid

The week ahead was already a full plate.  The recent death of beloved Archbishop Philip M. Hannan has made that very full.  Beginning tomorrow, official funeral activities began as the Priests of our Archdiocese gather for evening vespers and their time with the Archbishop before public viewing begins at the local seminary, Notre Dame.  Tuesday, the Archbishop will lie in state at the seminary all day, all night.  A special request was granted by Archbishop Aymond and all the Deacons of the Archdiocese will gather for night prayer while paying respects to Hannan.

Tuesday is one of those days where I will have to call upon the Holy Spirit to guide me.  I'm already committed to a long business day in Baton Rouge that includes an early arrival.  I'll be traveling I-12 by 6:30 in the morning.  From the capitol city I must return to Most Holy Trinity as we begin our 6 week session on the Mass translations and the reasons behind these changes.  This session runs from 6 to 7 or so and is followed immediately by a tour of the church for our RCIA candidates.  This is schedules to run to 8:30 which will make it so hard to arrive at the seminary for 9.  But I will find a way.  Being in community with all the Deacons around the casket of Archbishop Hannan is where I need to be.  By the time this prayer service concludes and I return home, it will be long past 11 p.m.

Thursday is the funeral service for Archbishop Hannan.  He will already be laying in state at the Cathedral when the Mass begins at 2 p.m.  I would assume there will be many Bishops, Priests, Deacons(many he personally ordained or consecrated) in attendance.  They have advised us to be preapred for a 3 hour event from preparation to conclusion with Hannan's burial in the crypt right there in the Cathedral.

In addition, many other activities await this week, some related to work of course and others to my ministry as a Permanent Deacon.

Come Holy Spirit; guide me in the week ahead!

And may we all continue to pray for the repose of the soul of beloved Archbishop Philip M. Hannan!

No comments:

Post a Comment