Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Deacons Pray Night Prayer/Office of the Dead for Archbishop Hannan

I hope to post more on this event tonight from eyewitness accounts as yours truly was unable to make it to the prayer service on time.  In response to the close personal relationship Archbishop Hannan had with the Permanent Diaconate community, all Deacons were invited to arrive at Notre Dame Seminary for 9 p.m. and pray night prayer from the office of the dead.  From early reports it appears a vast majority of our diaconate community was there.

It should be noted that it was Archbishop Hannan that robustly endorsed beginning the Permanent Deacon program soon after the order was restored by Pope Paul VI.  Archbishop Hannan made sure a program would be put in place and formation and educational programs implemented.  By 1974, Permanent Deacons were ordained for service in the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

Throughout his episcopacy and in retirement, Archbishop Hannan remained a staunch supporter of Permanent Deacons and their ministry.  In his last years, it was many dedicated Permanent Deacon who assisted the Archbishop in his recovery from a series of strokes, helped him to celebrate Mass and visited with him at his home in Covington.

Tonight, my responisbilities for both work and ministry obligations I committed to months ago prevented me from meeting up with my brother Deacons for this special evening of prayer.  I tried; I just ran out of time.  So I look forward to reports from my brother Deacons and continue to keep Archbishop Hannan in my prayers.  And I know he would highly approve of the evening of evangelization and ministry that kept me across the lake from the prayer service.

Hannan's body will be moved tomorrow to St. Louis Cathedral and his funeral will be at 2 p.m. Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment