Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday night reflections

Circumstances have placed me home alone, at least for a few hours after work, and the house is cool and dark.  The TV is locked on EWTN as I watch video of today's events at World Youth Day in Spain.  How wonderful on this weekend, when we celebrate the papacy in the words of Scripture, recalling Peter's confession of faith, that millions of pilgrims, most of them "youth" flock to see and hear the 84 year old Pontiff.

Pope Benedict had a busy day today in Spain, the highlight of which was a prayerful Stations of the Cross.  Since the secular world will never see anyything substanitive of WYD, they will miss the lively, exuberance of a youthful faith.  For the Catholic Church, despite her critics within and without, is ever young, ever vibrant, ever faithful.

What a great way to spend a nice Friday night near summers end.  In addition to bringing me great joy to watch, these events are also keeping my mind off the ever increasing tropical activity to our east.  Lo and behold, at about the same time 6 years ago Katrina struck, we may(and I do stress MAY) have a storm finally entering the southeast Gulf.  The problem with this hurricane thing we endure here in Louisiana is the conflict between watching and waiting in case and not getting too worked up this far out.  And again I must stress, at this point, we don't even have a named storm or a rock solid forecast.  Yet, I will be vigilant; and will bet that I am not alone.

So what should I be doing right now?  I should be much more busy than I am.  On Saturday I am charged with speaking to our PSR catechists at Most Holy Trinity.  I have less than 1 hour to speak to them from a faith and spiritual perspective the importance of what they are about to do in sharing and teaching the faith to our young people.  All across the nation, dare I say the entire world, so many thousands upon thousands men and women, Catholics in love with God and His Church, step forward and teach.  For them, we give thanks to God.

Sunday will find me assisting and preaching at two masses.  As I've already hinted at, the homily will be based on the confession of Peter; Kepha, upon this rock I will build my church!  We certainly can take time to reflect this Sunday on Peter and our two-thousand year unbroken history of the Bishops of Rome, including our current Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI.  And we remember firmly that the Church's one foundation is Jesus Christ!

Oh yes, the grass can wait til later this weekend.  We have God's work to attend to.

And on this Friday night, I reflect on all of God's manifold graces and bountiful gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment