Thursday, May 26, 2011

Back to jail

I can make a very strange statement: my whole week improved the moment I went to jail.  For background let's just say I've been out of sorts lately.  Work has been challenging.  Elizabeth's graduation activities rewarding but hectic.  Schedule all out of whack.  Feeling a little lousy due to my arthritis.

For the last couple of days I've been happy just to get through the day and make it to bed.  Wednesday night brought me back to prison.  I realized yesterday afternoon that I have not been here in 3 weeks; a long abscense for me.  So even though the day was difficult and I was tired as all get out, northern bound I traveled.

The men were remarkably glad to see me, grateful for my mid-week visit.  The liturgy was beautifully celebrated and I was inspired to preach a strong message for the men!

One of our own picked up the saxophone and accompanied us in Amazing Grace at the end of the communion service.

Many of the men stopped to share with me thanks or a quick visit or their circumstances updated from 3 weeks past.

Needless to say, I needed this visit with my brothers from Rayburn more than they needed me to show up.  This ministry is alive and doing great; thanks be to God!  And I am always lifted and renewed and refreshed in Jesus Christ our Savior every time I visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment