Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Right Back to Jail

After 3 full days of time inside prison I found myself right back in the big house tonight. The Kairos retreat behind me I was back with my candidate in training for an evening with the St. Peter's Catholic Community of Rayburn. Tonight was communion service night with Scriptures from this coming Sunday's readings. I was blessed to have the opportunity to preach to the men about the wonderful encounter of Jesus and the woman at the well and how we all thirst; thirst for that living water that Jesus alone can give each of us.

At the end of the evening I was able to visit with the men and review their progress through Lent as we discussed our personal commitments to prayer, fasting and almsiving(sharing). We also discussed the need to be a powerful witness every other day of the week when not in chapel.

We then made a trip to the infirmary, always a powerful experience. Tonight we visited with a man who is in compassionate care(akin to hospice) as he may be entering last days of his life.

Again, as is always the way, during a week that has posed some personal challenges, the prison visit becomes a huge spiritual oasis in my life.

And I even got to visit with a few of the men at the Kairos group from last weekends powerful retreat.

God is so good and in control. My Wednesday night back in jail was just what the doctor, or in this case the good LOrd Himself, ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment