Sunday, January 16, 2011

St. Jane de Chantal Parish; not good-bye, see you around

Today was my farewell Mass and luncheon to the parish where I have served, in one way or another, for 16 years. St. Jane de Chantal Parish has been home since my family and I moved to Abita Springs from a westbank neighborhood of New Orleans. The beautiful old church, right in the middle of town, was calling to me from the first day I laid eyes on her in November 1995. This is important because in November 1995 I had drifted away from church and God's love. This beautiful church kept calling and me and my family walked through the doors. After a brief meeting with the pastor, where I explained my journey, or lack of a journey, he said to me: you are home, welcome home. And the rest, as they say, is history. We joined the parish, got active, enrolled our youngest in CCD, I joined the Knights of Columbus and began to teach and lector and even was elected to the parish council. While at St. Jane's I heard the vocational call to the diaconate. I did my entire 5 years of formation while still at St, Jane's and was thrilled at my assignment as ordination drew near: I was to be assigned at St. Jane's. And I have served as a Deacon here since December 13, 2008.

Having moved on to my new assignment, Most Holy Trinity, I was asked to come back today and assist Mass and preach one last time and to enjoy a luncheon with so many good friends. I decided today to preach on my journey back to God through the doors of St. Jane's Church and challenged those present to be thankful for the gift God has given us in St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church right there in Abita Springs.

As Mass ended and we retired to the parish hall many came to celebrate and the outpouring of love, support, food and gifts was overwhelming. What a special day this was. I know I will remember today for a long,long time. I was touched over and over again by the outpouring of affection and support.

In leaving St. Jane's today I recall the words from today's responsorial psalm: Here am I, Lord, I come to do your will. Knowing that I am indeed following God's will makes leaving St. Jane's possible. And knowing now of the ministry that awaits me at Most Holy Trinity I'm ready to get busy.

As I said today to those gathered; this is not really a good-bye but more of a see you around. I wish to express my thanks to all of our St. Jane family that made today possible, to the staff of St. Janes and to Father's Robert and Raymond and my three brother Deacons, Frans, Don and Mark.

And I certainly thank my wife Wendy and my youngest, Elizabeth, who were present with me today as they have always been, especially through my diaconate journey these past 8 years.

Not good-bye; see you around.

St. Jane de Chantal, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment