Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jesus with us

This morning as I sat down and prayed morning prayer I came across this prayer in the intentions: Jesus remain with us throughout the day. This immediately struck me this morning in a new way as I have prayed this intention before in the normal cycle of following the prescribed prayers of the church for both morning and evening prayers.

But recently, on a retreat led by Archbishop Hughes, he suggested when praying daily prayer, stop and meditate on something that resonates. And today this intention did just that.

While I certainly understand the intent of that individual prayer I thought about how we could pray that intention differently. In reality, Jesus does stay with us throughout the day. Like Sunday's Gospel when Jesus is coming toward John the Baptist, He is always coming to us. And I believe he dwells with us, always.

Perhaps we should pray for the grace and awareness of His presence with us throughout our day. In fact it is most likely that when we trudge along with the normalness of our everyday existence it is us that forgets or losses focus on Jesus' presence with us today, and everyday and every minute of everyday.

May our prayer then be; Lord Jesus, help us to be more keenly aware that you are with me throughout this day and everyday. Thank you for the gift of your presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment