Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Midnight Mass on a December 22nd evening

Tonight was my last visit to Rayburn Prison before Christmas dawns. The Catholic community at Rayburn gathered with me and a visitor who tagged along with me to celebrate Christmas. It was a good night for the men because prior to our gathering they all received gifts and good wishes from the warden.

As we came together for prayer the men were anxious to sing some Christmas favorites. And we read the readings of Midnight Mass; the beautiful prophecy from Isaiah, the infrequent letter to Titus and the Lucan pronouncement of the Birth of Christ! I also read the proclamation of the Birth of Jesus which traces the historical timeline of Old Testament events leading to the His birth. I preached primarily on the light; how Jesus, the light of the world, has come to dispel the darkness of sin and division.

And the men were eager for the Eucharist tonight. It may be me, but they seemed to receive more reverently tonight.

The men sang beautifully again and after the final blessing presented me with a beautiful hand made Christmas card which included all their signatures and many wonderful personal expressions of thanks. Best Christmas Card I've ever received.

There is a part of me that would love to go back on Christmas Day but that can't happen(prison rules) and of course I will spend the day with family. Since these men cannot be with their families I will ask that all families pray for these men and the families that miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment