Monday, November 22, 2010

This is why I get up every morning

The events of the past weekend had a profound impact on me. That is often the case these days as I allow God to move in my life and I embrace the ministry of diakonia entrusted to me by Him. Taking a Friday off from work to make a three day weekend is something we all have done. We may make special plans. I planned a day in prison! On Friday we dedicated the inter-faith chapel at Rayburn prison. Since I've already detailed the events of this great day I won't belabor. But once again it was glorious! When you walk away from prison knowing that you witnessed transformative events for the glory of God you can only say: this is why I get up every morning!

Saturday was a special day spent with 20 men in formation for the permanent diaconate. I've done this many times. This past Saturday was the last day of formation class for our 2010 class. After their pre-ordination retreat this weekend these men await their ordination on December 11th. In the afternoon I joined two brother deacons as we critiqued the final practice homilies for our 10 soon to be deacons. The overall function of homiletics and honest critique is taken seriously to assist the candidate.

Sunday brought two masses and two homilies. On this wonderful Feast of Christ the King I shared my homily inspired by the Gospel reading of Christ and the good thief, St. Dismas. What a wonderful opportunity to incorporate my recent visit to the Rayburn prison into the homily. And in the early afternoon I was privileged to preside at the Baptism of a beautiful baby girl named Sophie. I love baptisms.

When I reflect on being a deacon, fully understanding our call to service, word, and sacrament, to reflect on how beautifully God's plan came together over these past few days.

This is why I get up every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment