Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lightning does strike twice

In an post from last year I shared the story of how lightning struck my house and fried over $ 15K in appliances. It was a very scary event especially when my daughter emerged from the bedroom complaining of tingling feelings in her hand and arm. It took us weeks to replace everything and even 7 months later, when our water heater stopped working, the plumber discovered additional damage from the lightning.

I figured that would be my one brush with the deadly electricity. Oh no, fast forward to today. Some background for you non-locals who read this blog: the Causeway is a 24 mile bridge which connects the New Orleans side of Lake Pontchartrain from the more suburban northshore communities. I live on the northshore and often have to commute to New Orleans. Today would be one such day.

Everything was fine although our meeting ran long but I was excited about headed back home around 2:30 this afternoon. A strong thunderstorm blew up from the north and east and travel on the Causeway was difficult. I've experienced this many times before so I'm still feeling o.k. Fierce lightning was striking ominously close by but again, I have been through this before. And then it hit; a bright flash of orange to the passenger front side of my 2008 GMC Acadia. After I recovered from the flash of bright light, I realized my vehicle was in trouble. All my dash was dead, the interior lights came on, the radio was fried and so was the A/C. I managed to drive the car off the Causeway bridge but once I stopped for the red light, she was done.

She was towed to the dealer and now awaits an insurance adjustors visit and the painful decision to repair or replace.

Of course I am grateful for not being hurt but can't believe I have been struck by lightning twice.

May I humbly and respectfully say; You have my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment