Sunday, May 23, 2010

A busy weekend and more...

I had plenty of opportunity this weekend for ministry and plenty of time to reflect as I look back on a strage incident last week and a family changing event in the week ahead.

As a Deacon I never know what I may be called to do beyond the planned events. This weekend I was blessed to serve as Deacon of the Cup Friday night at the Holy Spirit Novena Mass at Our Lady of the Lake. After Mass I visited with a family who we grew close to from our neighborhood and now lives near the Mandeville church. It is always a blessing to see a young Catholic family (they have 7 children) living a faith-filled life as Catholics.

On Saturday I spent the afternoon assisting with the homiletics class for the men scheduled to be ordained this December. It is always exciting to watch the growth in formation of those called to serve. And I wish many Catholics could see the process in forming Deacons especially within the context of preaching a homily. Overall, the 10 men in our current class are doing well but they, like those before them, have room to grow. And it is always special to spend any time around the diaconate community.

Today, Pentecost Sunday, brought the opportunity to assist at Mass and then make a special call to the home of a faithful parishioner recovering from surgery. I brought him communion and had a nice visit.

Throughout the entire weekend I reflected often on the events of the past week when my car was struck by lightning while driving the 24 mile bridge that crosses Lake Pontchartrain. The more I share the story with others and hear their response the more I realize that this situation could have been so much worse. While I have been worried about my car and wondering about why this happened, I've been learning to be more thankful that I'm o.k. and the situation was not worse.

And tonight I'm preparing (including packing, yuck) for our family trip to North Carolina where our oldest, James, will be getting married. It is an amazing time in any parents life when thier children do well and experience these watershed moments in life.

So I'll be off routine for the next week or so but praying for my miracle and for the new life my son and future daughter-in-law are about to embark on. And praying too in a spirit of thanksgiving for this ministry to serve Him and His church as a Permanent Deacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment