Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday and a new tradition

After the glorious Easter vigil last night there was little time to rest. I was out of the house early on this Easter Day to clebrate 9 a.m. Mass at St. Michael's Mission in Bush, La. St. Michael's is a small mission church assigned to the care of St. Jane de Chantal Parish in Abita Springs. I was assigned this Mass so I could make a surprise visit to the Rayburn Prison. Despite all our best efforts to minister to the men at the prison, they never have a visit on a holiday like Christmas or Easter. And this is understandable. For the Deacon, he must always remember his family obligations too. But today, thanks to an understanding family and a fortunate schedule, I managed to make it to Rayburn before 11:30 a.m.

Once I began to visit the dorms and see the men from our Catholic faith community they were very happy, and a bit surprised, to see me. They were genuinely happy to see someone who was willing to share even a part of the day with them. I have found, after doing this ministry for over a year now, it's just being present to them, and talking with them and bringing Jesus to them; yes in Word and most definitely in the Eucharist; but also in a willingness just to be with them and let them know someone cares and is praying for them.

Now that I am home relaxing with the family, I can reflect on what has been a very special Easter. The Vigil was amazing last night and Mass with the folks from our Mission was quite nice. And I'll never forget my first Easter day in prison!

No comments:

Post a Comment