Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year; time to look forward

Happy New Year. The partying and singing of Auld Lang Syne are over and many are struggling to wake up. For my part, I love waking up early on New Year's Day and watch the many news features on the year that was. And then I catch some college football preview shows and await the onslaught of bowl games. This year is more interesting than some as I will be cheering on the LSU Tigers today!!

New Year's Day is also the Solemnity of Mary the Mother of God. Having already assisted at the vigil Mass last night, I'm relaxing at home this morning and look forward.

No one really knows what a New Year will bring. There are of course some plans in place but for the most part no one really knows what will happen in the future. We do have a big wedding in 2010 as my son will marry his fiancee in North Carolina this May. That is certainly something to look forward to. And my daughter has big plans to study abroad in London this summer and hopefully tour other parts of Europe.

But I am looking forward to the everyday that 2010 will present. I have opportunities in the year ahead to expand my new role at work. And I pray for more opportunities to do His will in my ongoing ministries as a Permanent Deacon.

In 2010 the diaconate community will welcome newly ordained deacons from our current class of acolytes.

But for now, I am content to celebrate day 1 of the New Year and cheer on the Tigers. And I think it o.k. to look forward to the rest of the weekend. As a Deacon I will be preparing for the celebration of the Feast of the Epiphany which will be this Sunday. Yes, I know this used to be celebrated on January 6th but the church has moved this feast to a Sunday.

Monday will also dawn and it will be back to work after a week and change off from work. But that is what the New Year is all about; new beginnings. And that happens every day!

So without really knowing what the New Year will bring let's enjoy it, one day at a time. And make every day a walk with God and devote yourself to daily prayer. I sincerely wish all of you a joyful and prosperous 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment