Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving evening reflections

For the most part; the day is done. As Thanksgiving days go, it was nice and quiet; the way we like it lately. Thanksgiving has been hijacked much like Christmas has. Thanksgiving has been reduced to a frenzied Christmas kick-off. What a shame. Of course we can choose otherwise and I hope you have. I began the day at Mass, in prayer, thanking God who alone is the source of all we are, all we have, all we love and all we will be. I'm very thankful that God has shown me this reality of His presence in my life and I pray for those who don't have it. My little family sat down for another wonderful meal, prepared by my wife and we enjoyed it immensely.

Late this afternoon I took a nice walk in the good feel air around my property and completed my evening prayers. This time allowed me to reflect on the excitement of this past year, and to focus on the days ahead. In just a few short days, we begin the New Year of the Church with the 1st Sunday of Advent. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to preach at a neighboring parish, Holy Trinity as we begin our year long journey through the Gospel of St. Luke. My prayer this year is that there will be a healthy celebration of Advent by Catholics and people of faith. I was thinking about throwing the outdoor lights up this evening, but it is far too early to begin celebrating Christmas. Get an Advent Wreath and reflect on the coming of Christ in your life.

Tommorow I go back to work, my daughter returns to Baton Rouge and many of you may find yourself in a mall or shopping center. Again, have a prayerful expectation of the true season that lies ahead and focus on what is truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment