Friday, October 30, 2009

You never know...

I was on my way to work today when God intervened. As is often the case, when you least expect it and in places simple not grand, opportunities to minister happen. The details are not important, let's just say it was God's will to place me in front of someone who needed to talk.

When I realized how late it was, I phoned it in. Taking the rest of a Friday off, I remembered that a few miles down the road at a neighboring parish, there would be an opportunity to venerate a first class relic of St. Mary Magdalene. Driving south, I arrived at the church a little before 1:30 and was greeted by a line at least a block long. Once inside, the wait was another 30 minutes. But there at the altar was a fragment of Mary Magdalene's tibia. Because of faith, the realization that you were kneeling in front of a relic of the eyewitness to the Resurrection was a spiritual moment. Right before I knelt, they brought in a lady suffering with cancer, recovering from surgery or treatment. When she knelt before the relic strangers in line began to cry, the two priests went to her and prayed, one blessing her. I can never describe it, but I felt presence.

Of course I am accutely aware that all of this is taking place just yards away from the Eucharistic Lord in the tabernacle. With the church lit just perfectly and reverent music playing it was a feast for the senses. I am so thankful to God that this opportunity came my way!

Just last night, I had another opportunity to witness a powerful spiritual moment. One of my favorite places for spiritual renewal is St. Joseph Abbey. One of the monks, Fr. Thomas passed away during the week. It was unexpected as Fr. Thomas was one of the younger priests at the Abbey. I attended the evening Vespers, where they also receive the body and began an evening vigil. It is always moving to see the beauty, reverence and respect the Benedictines monk display when saying goodbye. And of course, we mourn the loss of the good and faithful priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment