Friday, October 9, 2009

Of faith and football weekends

Ah the weekend; a respite from the 40 hour plus work week. But as I write this, late on a Friday night watching a local sports show recap tonight's heroes of the high school gridiron, I realize it's up and out the door in a little less than 8 hours. This is one of those "normal" weekends full of ministry.

This is my first football season as an ordained member of the clergy. The Permanent Deacon does not have the luxury of working his schedule around the game of the week. And he really won't do that anyway. Is it just the luck of the draw that my schedule will allow me to be comfortably in front of the TV for the huge LSU vs Florida game tommorrow night? I think so.

Tommorrow I'll spend the entire day in New Orleans as I attend the formation class for aspiring Deacon candidates. The morning is full of teachings of social justice and the afternoon will be mentor meetings. I'm thrilled to be a mentor to three of the aspirants. It does make for a long day. I'll leave my house at 7 a.m. and return home about 5:30 p.m. Don't you think I'll deserve a chance to watch some Tigers?

Sunday is a big day for the entire community of Deacons. After doing our various Mass assignmnets, some with preaching, we all will gather in New Orleans again for a welcoming celebration for Archbishop Gregory Aymond. Our new Archbishop has now been at it in New Orleans for almost 60 days. This will be the first opportunity the community will have to be with our spiritual leader. The relationship between a Bishop and his Deacons is unique as we are assigned to assist him and support his works of service throughout the Archdiocese. We all are very much looking forward to being with Archbishop Gregory.

And then the week starts anew and Monday always brings in our parish another night of CCD action. This week I'll be visiting with and teaching the children in our RCIC program. It is always a joy to share Christ and His Church with the children.

So enjoy your weekend and if you can, catch a little football. But do not miss out on your faith; celebrate it and worship at Mass and get ready for the week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment