Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Deacon's Road Show

At the right time, I'm experiencing a much needed break from work, committees and the ministry activities of a still rookie Deacon. After a long day of work Monday and spending the evening with the CCD kids at Church, my wife and I hit the road Tuesday for a week long travel adventure. Our final destination is our son's brand new home in a Greensboro suburb so we took off through Mississippi, northern Alabama, into Georgia, right thru the middle of downtown Atlanta and in to South then North Carolina.

I must admit, it is an exciting moment for a parent when you see good things coming your child's way. Jimmy has a very beautiful home, on 3.5 acres overlooking some pretty woods. We spent our first night here last night. It's funny to see how much of a neat freak he is; I don't remember that about him at our homes. In any event, we are very proud and happy for him. And of course we are very excited about his upcoming wedding next spring.

Today Jimmy helped us drive deep into the great expanse of autumn colors. We headed west, up into the foothills then mountains of western North Carolina. We spent some time at an attraction called Blowing Rock, where from above, the vista of colorful fall foilage was breathtaking. Our drive took us on parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Needless to say, it was an awesome day.

So, I will be enjoying the remainder of my time up here in North Carolina so I'll be posting less and relaxing more. We have some nice things planned over the next two days and will begin heading home either Sunday or Monday. Plenty will be waiting for us upon our return but for now let it wait.

I am also looking forward to Mass at a little country Catholic Church near Greensboro where Wendy and I have worshipped before. It is always encouraging to me to watch the efforts of dedicated Catholics to be "community" and faithfully worship when the vast majority around them are not Catholic.

So I promise pictures soon and trust that you can hold us in prayer while we travel to and fro over the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment