Monday, October 19, 2009

Adoration, Benediction and the children

Tonight I was blessed to have the opportunity to meet with 5th and 6th graders at CCD. We talked about the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist and what Adoration and Benediction is. I was pleasantly amazed at their openess and understanding of universal truths that many adult Catholics struggle with.

When I exposed the Blessed Sacrament, I could tell the children knew something important was happening. Over time, I could see a few of them getting restless so we talked quietly about asking Him for a inmost desires. I asked them to concentrate on looking at Him, in adoration, as I assured them that He is looking back at us.

I explained the Benediction and taught them to make the sign of the cross as the monstrance is lifted high, lower and side to side. I explained clearly to them that it is not I as a Deacon or the Priest when they are with us that blesses; the blessing is from Jesus Christ Himself; Benediction.

In the next session later in the evening, Deacon Mark took over with the 10th graders. Tonight, over 50 children spent quality time with Jesus in Adoration and Benediction. Quite a few even went to Reconciliation.

I would say this is one awesome way to start the week. Give God all the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment