Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday night thoughts

Home on a quiet Sunday night, after 4 days of rain with nightfall coming earlier and earlier, I have much reflection to share. Don't always know why this happens. Maybe its therapeutic; maybe I just like to write. In any case, here goes.

Today my wife and I spent several enjoyable hours in Baton Rouge celebrating our daughter Elizabeth's 20th birthday. It was a nice afternoon. Our daughter is doing well at LSU and her future is all she wants it to be. Just last spring, Wendy and I traveled to North Carolina to spend some quality time with our son James for his 30th birthday. He too is doing well, just bought a home, now a partner in a veterinary clinic and soon to be married to a great girl. To celebrate the latest milestone birthdays with both our children was special.

When it comes to family, I've been amazingly blessed. Both of my children have always been a great joy. Always motivated, determined and smart they reached for their goals and are doing well. I also have a wonderful marriage. Wendy and I celebrated 32 years as husband & wife this summer. Together since 9th grade and friends since 5th it is a joy to grow "mature" with someone you have known all your life.

Both Wendy & Elizabeth played integral roles in my formation to become a Deacon. James had too many miles and a fledgling career to contend with. Both my wife and my daughter attended classes with me, although not frequently, and were remarkable in preparing for all the events that surrounded ordination last December.

Wendy continues to be very supportive; always good for a homily critique, taking interest in the prison ministry and very helpful with Baptism preparations.

A family goes a long way in affirming and supporting the Permanent Deacon in ministry.

This past week was awesome. I had a very good, productive week at work. That's important as the Permanent Deacon must continue to be faithful to career as well as family. The prison visit on Wednesday, followed by Mass with our new Archbishop, homily preparation and Kairos training, not to mention assisting at Mass today made for a satisfying week of ministry. And again, I'm reminded; it's not what we do but wo we are.

I am looking forward to the week ahead. I hope to continue to have good results in my latest work assignment which will include another trip across the lake to the New Orleans side. I also have a great opportunity to visit with very good friends; the kind of friends you don't have to beg to be part of each others lives. Great people! And ministry will be rich too. Religion classes start anew and I'll address the confirmation kids. There is a big feast day tommorrow, the Triumph of the Cross and Tuesday brings Our Lady of Sorrows. As a parish, we will begin a community recitation of the 7 sorrows rosary. And I will be speaking to a ladies group about prison ministy. And there is another homily to prepare for next weekend.

Yet with all this ministry ahead, I must be more aware of my own spiritual growth, be aware of who I am, remember that ministry continues while being father, husband, worker, collaborator, neighbor, friend and even a casual stranger.

Thank God for His grace. Thanks God for His gifts. Thank God to serve Him and one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment