Saturday, July 11, 2009

St Benedict of Nursia

Today is the memorial of St Benedict, the patriarch of western monasticism. He lived in the late 5th and early 6th centuries and established the Benedictines based on his Rule of Benedict. This morning, while reading the office of readings I came across the following: No one should follow what he considers good for himself, but rather what seems good for another. Let them put Christ before all else; and may He lead us all to everlasting life.

I became exposed to Benedictines when I moved to the Abita Springs community some 50 miles north of New Orleans. The local Catholic Church, St Jane de Chantal, was a Benedictine parish. The first pastor I met was Fr. William McCandless. I soon learned that nestled in the woods some 10 miles away was a Benedictine Monastery and Seminary College. As a life long New Orleanian Catholic I was kind of embarrased that I did not remember this. I soon began to venture toward the Abbey and celebrate Mass with the monks, take in evening Vespers, attend retreats, even purchasing my own burial plot on this holy ground.

I would love to invite you to look over the website of St. Jospeh Abbey and Seminary College. Here, men receive a great education and many go on to religious life and the Priesthood. Mass is offered to the larger community every day. They have several ministries as well as the website will attest. Maybe one of the best kept secrets in our Archdiocese, St Joseph Abbey has been a great place of prayer and reflection for me and many others.

To the monks of St Joseph Abbey, all my prayers on this great day in honor of St Benedict.

Ora et Labora.

http://www.sjasc.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment